Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Strawberries Are In Bloom!

Despite endless rain, early season warmth followed by frustrating, dreary, cool, sunless weather, the strawberries are in bloom! My garden journal indicates that I just may set another record for the start of my harvest. First quart was picked May 14th in 2008, May 22nd in 2009, and May 8th in 2010. We'll see if I can top 83 quarts this year--from three 4x8 raised beds, mind you.

I still have quite a few pints of strawberry jam left, and about a dozen bags of frozen whole berries. What will I do with more? Maybe I should go into competition with my Amish neighbors and start selling them! I can underbid $5.00 a quart.

Potatoes and onions are in; lettuce, spinach, greens and peas are up; tomato, basil and peppers are tiny but growing inside under lights. Hens have cleared the garden in preparation for a dose of mushroom soil and a quick turn under before planting.

So why is it I still feel like I am behind?

No comments: